Sunday, February 18, 2007

It's been a while

For no reason in particular I have been away from here, I haven't even got the excuse that I was busy posting elsewhere. I did have a bit of a tidy up on this refurbished x51v.

Marianne posted up a Love Poem that I enjoyed so much.

It's that eye for something that I would never have seen which lights my candle; I would not have come up with a view like hers, (I'd like to think I would avoid the cliches but who knows?), then again isn't that what poetry is about? Views of the world from through another eye.

On a less cultured subject, I was very disappointed to see an example of prejudice on a game show on ITV1 on a Saturday night. There is a show called Poker Face where contestants answer questions in a series of rounds, they get to know at the end of each round how well they personally have done but not there opponents. At the end of a round they stand together, each with a red button, 10 seconds count down and the first person who pushes the button in that time gets to go home with the money the won at that point; if no one presses their button the one with lowest score has to leave with nothing. Not exactly poker but a person who has done badly can bluff in the after round banter and hope to persuade someone else that they have need to press the button to avoid leaving with nothing.

If you are still with me at this point, last week one of the contestants was a lady who drove trains on the London underground. Almost everyone took turns to run her down during the show, picking on her, claiming that that she would naturally have done badly as she was only a train driver and one person suggesting that she would need the money given she was only a train driver. Now I know needling will come into the equation, the show winner will win £50,000 (approximately $ 100,000) and go into a £ 1,000,000 grand final. It was the way a majority of the needling seemed to be in her direction. In the end she was top for correct answers and the speed in getting them; out bluffed by the person in second position she hit the button and left in second place overall. I know, I know, someone is going to say it's not up to me to fight her battles but I hate to see people picked on. A game maybe but it's not cricket is it?

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Cornwall, United Kingdom
A married Cornishman who is getting an inkling of what he wants to be when he grows up. I currently work for the NHS. [See bottom of page for Blog Archive and Links.]