Sunday, September 18, 2005

New things learned - Using Phone Settings for Bluetooth Modem

One of the entries that I came across was an article by Kris Kumar dated 24 January 2005, I can't for the life of me recall the site it was on and won't guess and get it wrong. It was entitled Your Smartphone as a Bluetooth Modem for Your Laptop. My phone is a Symbian rather than PPC but the tip that he gave to get the computer to use the phone's settings was spot on. In a nutshell it involved setting the dialling number to *99# and not giving a name or password when prompted.

I stayed up late last night setting it up and then blew £10 in GPRS fees using 1MB on GPRS via the phone. I can't tell you how great it felt viewing the websites on the computer screen while connected through my phone. I did turn off graphics, sound and video files to reduce the bandwidth coming through and wished that I had taken up the browser accelerator that Opera offered after the trial ran out. I had used my phone as a modem previously both through infrared and bluetooth but it was to a dialup account at 9.6k, that I have as backup. The difference this time is that I can use the 16MB of GPRS that I pay for each month. There have been a number of occasions when I have needed to grab info I see on the screen and not all programs on the phone will allow cut and paste between them. With the laptop I can grab whatever and dump it to a Word doc or similar. So thank you Kris, (I will locate an email for you when next online and send my thanks directly).

Handcrafted on a Sony Ericsson P910i

My mobile blog - lowjib7.blogspot.com

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Cornwall, United Kingdom
A married Cornishman who is getting an inkling of what he wants to be when he grows up. I currently work for the NHS. [See bottom of page for Blog Archive and Links.]